Pilot study of transarterial chemoembolization with pirarubicin and amiodarone for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.

Fiche publication

Date publication

juin 2009


Membres identifiés du Cancéropôle Est :
Pr BEDENNE Laurent, Pr GHIRINGHELLI François, Pr HILLON Patrick, Dr JOUVE Jean-Louis, Dr MINELLO Anne, Pr LOFFROY Romaric

Tous les auteurs :
Guiu B, Colin C, Cercueil JP, Loffroy R, Guiu S, Ferrant E, Jouve JL, Bonnetain F, Boulin M, Ghiringhelli F, Minello A, Hillon P, Bedenne L, Krause D, Chauffert B


OBJECTIVE: Further to a previous study whereby we reported that an in vitro emulsion of pirarubicin, amiodarone, and lipiodol was more stable and cytotoxic than a classic doxorubicin-lipiodol mixture, we designed a pilot study to evaluate efficacy and toxicity of a transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) procedure using a combination of pirarubicin, amiodarone, lipiodol, and gelatin sponge. METHODS: The 43 patients included in this study underwent TACE for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma. Computed tomography scans were performed to assess tumor response (RECIST) and lipiodol uptake after the first session. Median follow-up lasted 30 months. Endpoints were overall and progression-free survival. Survival was estimated using Kaplan Meier estimations and compared using log-rank tests. Univariate and multivariate Cox analyses were used to calculate hazard ratios with their 95% confidence interval (CI). RESULTS: Twenty-seven (67.5%) patients had alcoholic cirrhosis. Mean tumor size was 9.5 cm (1-20 cm) and 37/43 were multifocal or diffuse. Cancer of the liver Italian program score was 0 in 7/40 and 1 in 16/40. Mean number of TACE sessions was 3.5 (1-11). There were 3 treatment-related deaths (2 severe sepsis, 1 bowel perforation). A partial response and a stable disease were observed in 12 (28%) and 29 (67%) patients, respectively. Median overall and progression-free survivals were 29 months (95% CI: 13.8-45) and 15 months (95% CI: 11.5-20.8), respectively. Cancer of the liver Italian program score 25% (P = 0.003) were independent prognostic factors for better overall survival. CONCLUSION: This new TACE procedure is safe with a high overall survival rate and certainly deserves phase III investigation to compare it with classic treatments such as doxorubicin-lipiodol TACE.


Am J Clin Oncol. 2009 Jun;32(3):238-44.